We’re incredibly excited to have Ashlee deSteiger and David Rae—two XYPN advisors and RIA owners—on the show today to talk about everything that comes along with working having your spouse as a coworker. Ashlee’s husband joined her firm, Gunder, after seeing the momentum and freedom she enjoyed while running the firm, while David hired his husband at his firm strategically to support not just his firm, but his lifestyle as well.
In this episode, you’ll hear Ashlee and David discuss the good, bad, and the ugly of working with your spouse—from how they take walks (alone) to tag-teaming duties. They also talk about the decision to hire a spouse generally and what it’s like to market your firm with your spouse and serve clients as a team. Ashlee shares what it was like growing her firm during COVID and with three small kids at home. David reminds us of how good things can be when we define our ideal life and work towards it each day while embracing the inevitable challenges.
Whether you’re starting your firm with your partner or just starting your firm, you won’t want to miss this episode.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Why Ashlee and David made the leap to RIA owners (00:02:46)
- How they incorporated their spouses into their firms and what the delegation of duties looks like (00:09:45)
- The benefits and challenges of working with your spouse (00:20:51)
- The interesting dynamic of being the boss of your spouse (00:24:21)
- How they put effort into separating their businesses from their marriages (00:26:36)
- What silver-lining opportunities COVID presented (00:30:21)
- A week in the life of both as they run their RIAs and work with their spouses (00:35:00)
- The future of their firms and the potential need to hire beyond their spouses (00:39:55)
- Final pieces of advice to those who find themselves in a similar position (00:45:57)
Featured on the Show:
- Ashlee deSteiger: Website | LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- David Rae: Website | LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- How I Built This - Stonyfield Yogurt Episode
- Rocket Fuel by Gino Wickman and Mark C. Winter
- Ep #291: Serving Couples as a Couple: An Interview with Dan and Natalie Slagle
- Mastermind Groups
- Dimensional Fund Advisors (DFA)
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA)
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: