We’re excited to have XYPN members Dan and Natalie Slagle, owners of Minnesota-based fee-only firm, Fyooz Financial Planning, on the show today. Dan and Natalie are partners in life and business, and together have nearly 20 years of industry experience.
Today, they talk about how they built Fyooz intentionally to reach their target market: successful, fun, and authentic couples. They discuss what sparked the fire to launch their firm, the sacrifices they made along the way, and how their relationship has allowed them to serve their ideal client base. Together, they serve 30 clients—and have the capacity to serve 50-70 more. Dan and Natalie walk us through how they delineate roles and responsibilities, and the inherent challenges of working with your spouse. They share their candid thoughts about the pressures of the fiduciary oath they’ve taken, how they manage anxiety, and, on a lighter note, discuss what they’ve loved most about building Fyooz.
If you want to learn about what it’s like to go into business with your partner, then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Why Dan and Natalie decided to start their firm and the meaning behind their firm name (00:02:46)
- How their own firm provides relatability with clients that previous firms did not (00:12:17)
- The ins and outs of their client base (00:15:11)
- The work dynamic between Dan and Natalie (00:18:46)
- The sacrifices Dan and Natalie made to start their own firm (00:23:39)
- The role marketing plays in their firm and how it works as a vetting process (00:29:44)
- Their capacity and the pressures they feel to serve a certain number of clients (00:37:19)
- Dan and Natalie’s biggest challenge since starting their firm (00:45:01)
- Advice for couples thinking of starting their own business together (00:48:34)
Featured on the Show:
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.