We’re excited to have XYPN member Justin Brownlee, owner of the Houston-based fee-only firm Brownlee Wealth Management, on the show. Justin started his own firm last year after spending nearly a decade in the insurance and brokerage world.
Today, he’s building the premier firm serving oil and gas retirees and has experienced impressive growth by focusing exclusively on this niche. Justin explains how creating targeted content that speaks directly to the needs and pain points of his ideal clients works wonders for traction. He also breaks down his decision to bring on an equity partner much earlier than expected, and how that decision helped nearly double his revenue. Throughout the episode, Justin opens up about what it was like to start his firm, how a cancer diagnosis changed his life, and how he thinks the industry is more prime for advisors to enter than ever before. As a former minister, Justin brings a unique intentionality and a clear passion for serving others to his business.
If you’re wondering what it really takes to build an intentional and niched firm, this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- How Justin pivoted from ministry to financial planning and an introduction of Brownlee Wealth Management (00:02:55)
- Why Justin was drawn to fee-only advising (00:07:40)
- Why Justin decided to exclusively work with oil and gas retirees (00:12:36)
- How Justin’s articles and videos got traction and brought clients to his firm (00:17:30)
- The reason Justin welcomed an equity partner into his firm, rather than an employee (00:24:24)
- Justin’s equity partner agreement and salary tiering system (00:36:17)
- The importance of a personality assessment and how hardships can change your perspective (00:37:00)
- Justin’s vision for the future of his firm—where he’s headed and how he plans to get there (00:41:34)
- Justin’s reflections on the current state of the fee-only space and his advice for a better future (00:46:20)
Featured on the Show:
- Justin Brownlee: Website | News
- Assessing Compatibility To Partner With Another Financial Advisor
- The Enneagram Personality Test
- Ep #279: Alternative Career Paths in the Financial Planning Industry- An Interview with Lucy Robeson
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: