We’re thrilled to have Lucy Robeson, the Managing Director of AdvicePay, a compliant payment processor for financial advisors, on the show today. Like many others on the show before her, Lucy took a meandering path to where she is today. She started her career as a retirement actuary, spent some time as a non-profit coordinator in Fiji, then moved into the RIA space and pursued her CFP® designation.
Now several years later, Lucy lives in Bozeman, MT, where she leads a 14-member team. Lucy discusses how she was able to successfully make those career pivots (hint: it involved a lot of hustle and leaning in) and how those pivots have brought her to where she is today—a place and position she really loves. She shares when she questioned her “why” and how she continued to imagine and work towards a better, more fitting position for herself. Lucy’s tips aren’t just limited to those in the financial services industry…they’re universal. Listen in as she shares how to carve out a place for yourself, how to hone your mental resilience, and how to manage a high-performing team. As someone who was always used to executing, Lucy also offers sage advice about how to transition from a doer to a manager of doers.
If you’re struggling to find a position that’s the right fit for you, then you won’t want to miss this episode.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- An overview of Lucy’s background, her role at Advice Pay, and the team she manages (00:03:35)
- How Lucy got into the financial planning space and the opportunities she created for herself (00:09:20)
- Lucy’s first financial planning job and her CFP® experience (00:17:09)
- Lucy’s pivot from actuary to planner (00:19:56)
- The different opportunities at financial planning firms and the importance of a learner mentality (00:23:35)
- The uncertainty Lucy faced about her future and how she stepped into her current role at AdvicePay (00:27:07)
- What Lucy’s role as a manager really entails and how she constantly tries to improve (00:32:47)
- How to delegate and the importance of trusting your team (00:36:28)
- Lucy’s tips for being your best self and staying motivated (00:45:04)
Featured on the Show:
- Lucy Robeson: AdvicePay | LinkedIn
- George Mason University CFP Certification
- Alan Moore: LinkedIn | XYPN
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: