Whether you live in a single or dual-entrepreneurial household, have children you’re balancing in that equation, or are just looking for effective tips to convert prospects into clients, this episode is for you!
In this fun and informative conversation with XYPN member Sarah Ponder, CFP®, MBA, founder of Real Estate Wealth Planning, Sarah joked that she's 37 and on her fifth and hopefully final career.
She started out in the Enterprise Car Rental Management Training program, then ended up in a financial literacy software startup before getting her MBA. She was then recruited to Dimensional Fund Advisors, or DFA, where she moved up into a regional director role, during which time she got her CFP®.
She always knew she would launch her own firm one day and decided that the fall of 2020 right in the middle of COVID was the right time. We talked about her decision to become an entrepreneur as she had two kids under four and another on the way, and she had historically been the breadwinner for her family as her husband is a realtor. She said she drank the niche Kool-Aid from this podcast, and after doing a round of interviews with real estate professionals, she decided to specialize in working with realtors.
We talked about her fee structure, successful marketing programs, her new course for realtors, and also how her family has leveraged an Au Pair to be able to support them with childcare so they can build their respective businesses.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Starting a fee-only RIA as a fifth career (00:03:02)
- What made it the right time to launch (00:10:46)
- How Sarah found the real estate professionals niche and how she’s converting prospects into clients (00:14:32)
- Talking to clients about what’s happening in the news when it relates to them (00:22:30)
- How the need for freedom overpowered the list of reasons not to launch (00:27:33)
- Parenting with two entrepreneurs and three kids (00:31:14)
- Using the au pair program to support the work/life balance Sarah wants (00:36:57)
- Launching a financial planning foundation for realtors course and requiring all clients to take it (00:46:56)
- How Sarah and her husband leverage each other's expertise as fiduciaries and entrepreneurs working in the real estate industry (00:53:31)
Featured on the Show:
- Sarah Ponder: Website | LinkedIn | Facebook | Find an Advisor Portal
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- XYPN Radio Guest Nomination Form
- XYPN Facebook VIP Community
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Stuck managing your business instead of serving your clients? You’re not alone. Entrepreneurs often find themselves working in their business rather than on it. That’s why we’re so excited to announce: XY Virtual Assistant+ is here to free you to do what you do best and leave the rest to us. Created to go way beyond traditional task management, XYVA+ was designed to be a partner who not only supports your business, but optimizes it. Check out xyplanningnetwork.com/assist to find all the ways XYVA+ can grow your firm from where it is to where you want it to be.