We’re excited to welcome XYPN member Jessica Goedtel, CFP®, EA, founder of Pavilion Financial Planning, on the show today. Jessica started her career thinking she wanted to be an archeologist. After a few jobs and a few different industries, her love of personal finance brought her to her first job in financial planning. She worked for a couple of different firms, including an online startup RIA, and learned as much as she could about doing financial planning and the types of clients she wanted to work with before ultimately launching her own firm in September of 2021.
Jessica has two niches listed on her website’s home page: tech workers and online sex workers. We talked about the decision to have two niches, which she admits can be difficult at times, but also wouldn't go back and change it if she could. We dove into the service model and fee structure of both niche markets and how she's ultimately bringing value to her clients, including how she has incorporated tax preparation and tax planning into her business just over a year in, and she's doing amazingly well. This is an interview you don't want to miss.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- The early days of Jessica’s career and how she found financial planning (00:02:40)
- The choice to take one more job in the field before launching her own firm (00:15:52)
- Jessica’s two niches: tech workers and online sex workers (00:28:14)
- How serving clients who have never worked with a financial planner allows Jessica to have a similar fee structure for both niches (00:36:07)
- Why Jessica offers tax prep (00:40:28)
- How her communication style changes when working with one niche versus the other (00:48:13)
- Marketing to two niches at once (00:55:44)
- Being comfortable with where your firm is and looking ahead (00:59:57)
Featured on the Show:
- Jessica Goedtel: Website | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Blog
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- XYPN Radio Nomination Form
- XYPN VIP Facebook Community
This Episode is Sponsored By:
We hear it every day: compliance is overwhelming for independent financial advisors. That’s why XY Planning Network offers three compliance services to get you the support you need. Let our experts become your experts through our Initial Registration Service, designed to help you navigate your initial state or SEC registration. Get your firm up and running with our Ongoing Compliance Coaching to hone your compliance program so that it grows with you. Want both? Our First Year Compliance Foundations service helps you build a custom-tailored compliance program while you get your firm registered. Go to xyplanningnetwork.com/compliance101 to get the compliance support you need and let us take the guesswork out of the process.