We’re excited for today’s episode with Nancy Hetrick, AWMA, CDFA, founder of Smarter Divorce Solutions—serving clients through collaborative divorce. Today, Nancy represents both a financial neutral and mediator for her clients and remains committed to a kinder, gentler divorce process for all involved.
After her own divorce in 2007, Nancy realized just how few resources were out there for people getting a divorce. Traditional divorce proceedings include clients each bringing their own financial advocates to the table. Nancy wanted to play a role in offering better choices to people facing this unfortunate reality and became a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst. The Smarter Divorce Solutions tagline captures her passion: No lawyers. No judges. No courtrooms. That’s how Nancy has reimagined the role of financial advocacy during divorce proceedings.
Nancy is truly dynamic and shares with us some of her most fulfilling experiences as an advisor—from serving clients through collaborative divorce to creating a CDFA training. Last year, Nancy made the decision to sell the wealth management side of her business to focus exclusively on building her divorce planning practice, which is growing like crazy. The divorce planning practice side of her business will do over $1,000,000 in revenue this year alone. Nancy has a lot of great advice to share with you today—from finding your groove within the divorce niche to marketing FYI’s.
If you're interested in working with divorcing clients or just want to learn the power of a niche, this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- How Nancy become a financial advisor almost accidentally (00:02:49)
- What launching her own RIA looked like (00:11:46)
- The difficult process of succession planning (00:13:15)
- The emotional side of divorce financial planning (00:21:10)
- Getting into the groove of your niche (00:30:16)
- What the relationship between caseload and fee structure is (00:34:50)
- Only needing to market yourself for two to three years in the divorce niche (00:42:31)
- The CDFA training Nancy has developed (00:45:57)
- What Nancy is doing for the divorce community beyond divorce financial planning (00:52:52)
Featured on the Show:
- Nancy Hetrick: Website | Facebook | LinkedIn
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- #XYPNRadio Nomination Form
This Episode is Sponsored By:
We hear it every day: compliance is overwhelming for independent financial advisors. That’s why XY Planning Network offers three compliance services to get you the support you need. Let our experts become your experts through our Initial Registration Service, designed to help you navigate your initial state or SEC registration. Get your firm up and running with our Ongoing Compliance Coaching to hone your compliance program so that it grows with you. Want both? Our First Year Compliance Foundations service helps you build a custom-tailored compliance program while you get your firm registered. Go to xyplanningnetwork.com/compliance101 to get the compliance support you need and let us take the guesswork out of the process.