We’re excited to welcome XYPN member Cody Garrett, CFP®, founder of Measure Twice Financial—an advice-only firm based in Houston, TX—to the show. After 10 years in the music industry, Cody jumped into a career in financial planning. As Cody learned about financial planning, he shared blogs to teach others at the same time. His generosity changed the trajectory of his career.
Cody lasted two and a half years at an RIA before the floodgates opened. Dozens of clients started reaching out wanting planning advice—without investment management. After two months, he generated more revenue than an entire year. So, he made the decision to go solo.
In this episode, Alan and Cody discuss the importance of empowering clients to get involved with their finances. Measure Twice Financial leads by example—simplifying financial topics to help DIY investors to align their money with their values. Cody built his firm from the ground up, finding his ideal client before choosing a service model and fee structure. His goal is to change the perception of a financial planner's role by increasing the transparency of planning.
If you’re interested in advice-only planning or are looking to align your professional goals and values, this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- What led Cody to financial planning after 10 years in the music industry (00:02:47)
- How the success of the Measure Twice Money blog changed Cody’s trajectory (00:17:40)
- Making the decision to go solo (00:19:52)
- Why advice-only is gaining momentum (00:21:50)
- The process of referring out rather than creating a waitlist (00:27:50)
- How protecting the Measure Twice brand guided Cody’s decision to not grow and serve more clients (00:28:54)
- Working 10 hours for the lifestyle you want (00:38:19)
- How Cody plans to build out teams while focusing on generosity and transparency (00:48:01)
- The mindset Cody has around financial planning and how scalable it is (00:50:51)
Featured on the Show:
- Cody Garrett: Website | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | Find An Advisor Profile |
Blog | Podcast | LinkTree | Measure Twice Planners
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- #XYPNRadio Nomination Form
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Looking for an event made just for advisors like you? It’s #XYPNLIVE and it’s the conference experience you’ve been waiting for to help you re:imagine your processes and re:connect with your purpose as a planner. With over 30 content sessions this year, there's expert knowledge for everyone and every firm along with countless opportunities to connect with like-minded advisors and industry experts. #XYPNLIVE 2022 is happening this Oct 8–11 in Denver, CO. Learn more and grab your pass for the can’t-miss event at live.xyplanningnetwork.com.