Today, we talk to XYPN member Ethan Miller, CFP®, founder of Planning for Progress—a fee-only firm based in Washington D.C.
Ethan started his career in labor and union organizing which gave him the passion for working with individuals one-on-one to empower them to make the world a better place. Financial planning seemed to be the perfect way to help clients lead socially responsible lives while building financial stability. He launched Planning for Progress in 2016 part-time to build slowly (and remain an active part of movements for social and economic justice). After 4 years, his network and niche aligned. Ethan relaunched in 2022 as a full-time advisor and now serves 70 clients in a calendar year.
This episode is fun—and brutally honest. Ethan shares his experience of transitioning between service models to fit his ideal client by embracing both comprehensive and project-based service models and getting his existing clients on board.
If you’re thinking about starting a firm part-time or looking for ways to incorporate your values into your business, this episode is full of advice for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- The passion that eventually brought Ethan into the financial planning industry (00:03:00)
- Starting a part-time firm with no prior experience (00:12:02)
- How to decide if a prospect is the right fit for your niche (00:17:47)
- What convinced Ethan to finally switch his firm to full-time (00:25:48)
- Launching your firm at the right time for you (00:30:14)
- The incredible growth and revenue Ethan is expecting about only being full-time for 7 months (00:40:26)
- What the future of Planning for Progress might look like (00:43:45)
- How workshops play a core part of Ethan’s long-term marketing strategy (00:57:32)
Featured on the Show:
- Ethan Miller: Website | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | Find An Advisor Profile
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- #XYPNRadio Nomination Form
- #XYPNRadio Listener Survey
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Looking for an event made just for advisors like you? It’s #XYPNLIVE and it’s the conference experience you’ve been waiting for to help you re:imagine your processes and re:connect with your purpose as a planner. With over 30 content sessions this year, there's expert knowledge for everyone and every firm along with countless opportunities to connect with like-minded advisors and industry experts. #XYPNLIVE 2022 is happening this Oct 8–11 in Denver, CO. Learn more and grab your pass for the can’t-miss event at live.xyplanningnetwork.com.