We’re excited to welcome Colton Etherton CFP®, XYPN Member, and owner of Out of the Office Planning to the show today. On this episode, Colton talks us through his professional background, which includes starting his career in the banking side of financial services, transitioning to Merrill Edge, Schwab, then an independent RIA, all before launching his fee-only firm with a tattoo artist niche.
Colton shares the impact of his unexpected unemployment in the launch of his firm in January of 2021 and how his banking background gave him the confidence to build his own firm from scratch. Colton scrapped his niche nine months in to be the go-to resource for tattoo artists on his schedule. His firm is now growing incredibly fast, bringing in 10 clients in 6 months, on a schedule that prioritizes his personal and business goals.
If you’re interested in starting a firm with a background in banking and finding the confidence to go all-in with your niche, this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- What brought Colton from a bank teller to RIA owner (00:04:24)
- Colton’s experience with helping build a limited use broker-dealer at a prior firm (00:13:47)
- The push to be an entrepreneur and launch his own firm (00:16:55)
- Working with your spouse to manage earning income and taking care of your kids while building your own firm from scratch (00:22:29)
- The choice to use his 401k to fund launching Out of Office Planning (00:29:41)
- Why Colton hit the reset button nine months in (00:33:53)
- Why the tattoo artist niche is profitable (00:39:59)
- Tattoo Wealth, Colton’s podcast focused on sharing the journey of tattoo artists (00:46:09)
Featured on the Show:
- Colton Etherton: Website | Podcast | Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- #XYPNRadio Nomination Form
- #XYPNRadio Listener Survey
- Ep #329: What the First Six Months of Running a Firm are Really Like: With Stefanie Pickard & Chao Zhang
- Justin Green, CFP®, MS PFP
- Carl Richards
- Marlon Wesh
- Tattoo Wealth episodes mentioned:
- #11 Filtering Out the Bullsh*t Surrounding Life Insurance w/ Broc Buckles
- #2 What Actually Matters When Buying a Home w/ Vinny Rodriguez
- #7 Making a Money Mindshift w/ Maggie Klokkenga CFP®, CPA
- #16 Always Remain a Student w/ Anthony Pulitano
- #1 Ditching Ego and Alcohol to Become the Best Artist He Can Be w/ Jayson Lynch
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Looking for an event made just for advisors like you? It’s #XYPNLIVE and it’s the conference experience you’ve been waiting for to help you re:imagine your processes and re:connect with your purpose as a planner. With over 30 content sessions this year, there's expert knowledge for everyone and every firm along with countless opportunities to connect with like-minded advisors and industry experts. #XYPNLIVE 2022 is happening this Oct 8–11 in Denver, CO. Learn more and grab your pass for the can’t-miss event at live.xyplanningnetwork.com.