We’re excited to welcome XYPN member Ryan Greiser, founder of the Pennsylvania-based financial planning firm Opulus, to the show. Ryan started his professional career as an athletic trainer before a client recruited him into a financial planning firm, where “financial planning” was actually just cold calling and selling insurance. Ryan lasted three years before moving to a broker-dealer, and while he was able to do more planning there, he was still expected to sell insurance—and a lot of it at that.
Ryan ultimately launched his own firm in 2019, and has been on a rapid growth trajectory ever since. Most recently, Ryan has been building out a cryptocurrency offering to support his clients, which has become a big driver of new business for his firm. In this episode, we talk extensively about Ryan’s cryptocurrency offering, going into the details of how he designed it and his vision for the future.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Ryan’s background from a college athlete to cold calling insurance (00:01:57)
- How the desire for financial security drove Ryan’s decisions (00:12:43)
- The final push to launch his own financial planning firm (00:18:59)
- How Ryan’s niche lives within 20% of his relationships (00:23:24)
- A newer initiative at Opulus around cryptocurrency (00:31:26)
- How to build and maintain knowledge on cryptocurrency (00:37:00)
- Why getting insurance coverage for cryptocurrency was important for Opulus (00:41:12)
- How a cryptocurrency platform, which impacts 1-5% of a portfolio, has brought in prospects (00:43:11)
- How to create the support and infrastructure to maintain a 3.5-day workweek (00:46:47)
Featured on the Show:
- Ryan Greiser: Website | Instagram | Podcast | Find an Advisor Profile
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- #XYPNRadio Nomination Form
- #XYPNRadio Listener Survey
- Onramp Invest
- Ric Edelman
- Certified Digital Asset Advisor (CDAA)
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Thanks for being a listener of #XYPNRadio! We want to hear from you about what you want to hear from us. What types of guests do you want to learn from next? What topics or pain points are you craving insight on? Go to xyplanningnetwork.com/radiosurvey to fill out a short survey telling us what—and who—you want to hear on #XYPNRadio. That’s xyplanningnetwork.com/radiosurvey.