We’re excited to welcome XYPN member Danielle Harrison MBA, CFP®, CFT-I™, the founder of Harrison Financial Planning, a fee-only firm based in Columbia, Missouri, on the show today. Danielle was destined to be a financial planner, starting all the way back in middle school as a kid fascinated by finance. The only problem? Her perception of financial planning as product pushing and sales-based—until she learned about fee-only firms.
She entered financial services as a bank teller at age 16 and eventually moved into the wealth management side of the bank. After going on maternity leave with her second child, she came back to a less than ideal situation that ultimately led her to launch her own firm in January 2021, well ahead of her schedule for doing so and in the midst of COVID. In this interview, Danielle is open and honest as she tells her story about the difficulties and challenges of her first year in business. But she’s persevered and is building an inspiring firm that supports her family and their goals.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- How Danielle’s passion for finance since she was young brought her to owning her own fee-only firm (00:02:45)
- The culture shift bringing financial planning into a business can bring (00:10:32)
- What made Danielle take the jump before she was ready (00:13:16)
- Confirming you made the right call to step out on your own (00:19:20)
- First-year struggles Danielle experienced (00:23:49)
- How to overcome loneliness while being an entrepreneur (00:31:55)
- Using content creation to bring in new clients (00:35:39)
- Danielle’s plan for the future of her firm and how talking to her partner about it relieved added pressure (00:43:09)
Featured on the Show:
- Danielle Harrison: Website | Facebook | LinkedIn | Find An Advisor Portal
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- #XYPNRadio Nomination Form
- #XYPNRadio Listener Survey
- FIRE Documentary
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Thanks for being a listener of #XYPNRadio! We want to hear from you about what you want to hear from us. What types of guests do you want to learn from next? What topics or pain points are you craving insight on? Go to xyplanningnetwork.com/radiosurvey to fill out a short survey telling us what—and who—you want to hear on #XYPNRadio. That’s xyplanningnetwork.com/radiosurvey.