Today’s interview is with Leo Marte, CFP®, the owner of Abundant Advisors, a virtual fee-only firm that specializes in serving Christian professionals. Leo joined XYPN and launched his firm in 2020 after spending a dozen years at Vanguard, managing a large team, and working with thousands of clients.
We talk about what it was like for Leo to leave a meaningful institution and career to chase a different dream of serving clients that better aligned with his personal goals. He discusses what it means to be a great advisor to his high-net-worth clients, how transparency is what draws folks in, and he talks about the intentionality he has around his growth. Leo charges a flat fee and AUM, which provides him access points to work with folks he may not be able to otherwise. We discuss a second business he’s developing, and he reminds us that there’s never a right time to do things.
If you're ready to transition out of your institutional career, then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Leo’s background in the industry and what drew him to launching his own firm (00:03:02)
- Why Leo didn’t want to bring clients from his old book of business (00:13:11)
- What his first year looked like and how it took time to hit his stride (00:16:34)
- Attempting to replicate “personal touch” in a virtual business (00:19:29)
- The service model Leo created and why it’s only been slightly adjusted (00:23:19)
- Building credibility as a new firm and as an independent advisor (00:29:50)
- How Leo’s level of responsiveness brings meaning to clients (00:36:22)
- An additional value-add for clients and non-clients: a curated DIY financial plan master class (00:42:19)
- What the hardest part of becoming a business owner was (00:51:45)
Featured on the Show:
- Leo Marte: Website | LinkedIn | Find An Advisor Profile | Blog
- How to Build a Christian Financial Plan Master Class
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Setting Up An RIA And Starting A New Financial Planning Practice On Less Than $10,000
- #FASuccess Ep 009: Carolyn McClanahan On Using A Complexity-Based Retainer Model To Deliver Holistic Financial Planning
This Episode is Sponsored By:
A firm isn't a firm without clients—as the Chief Marketing Officer of your RIA, the most important job you have is guiding prospects through your marketing funnel and converting them to clients. If your funnel has leak, you could be spinning your wheels and missing opportunities. Mapping your funnel is the first step towards developing an effective marketing strategy and a valuable tool for evaluating the health of an existing one. Download our free template and map your funnel.