Today, we talk with two advisors who launched their firms in the past six months. This is a different kind of podcast that gives folks an inside perspective on what it’s really like in the first year. Instead of talking to people about how their first year was in hindsight, Elaine King and Scott Alan Turner, fee-only RIA owners from Florida and Texas respectively, share what it’s like to figure things out right now—as they’re doing it.
Elaine and Scott both come with impressive experience and financial confidence, but today you’ll hear them talk about what keeps them up at night—from technology to imposter syndrome—and what they recommend others do to prepare for a running start. You can feel their excitement and optimism throughout this recording, but things get real when they’re asked to rank from A to F how well they think they’re doing at actually running their firm.
If you’re interested in hearing what six months feels like (while it’s actually happening) then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- An introduction to Elaine and Scott’s new firms (00:02:36)
- What gave them the confidence to finally launch (00:07:20)
- The fears and lack of support they would have experienced if they started their firms 15 years ago (00:19:01)
- The process of developing a fee structure (00:26:39)
- What the hardest part of launching has been so far (00:30:33)
- Elaine and Scott’s journey as book authors (00:38:02)
- Their advice to people thinking about launching (00:42:23)
- How nerves and imposter syndrome has impacted them (00:47:00)
- How much time truly goes into building the type of firm you want (00:50:23)
Featured on the Show:
- Elaine King: Website | LinkedIn | Book
- Scott Alan Turner: Website | LinkedIn | Find An Advisor Profile | Podcast
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
This Episode is Sponsored By:
A firm isn't a firm without clients—as the Chief Marketing Officer of your RIA, the most important job you have is guiding prospects through your marketing funnel and converting them to clients. If your funnel has leak, you could be spinning your wheels and missing opportunities. Mapping your funnel is the first step towards developing an effective marketing strategy and a valuable tool for evaluating the health of an existing one. Download our free template and map your funnel.