Today, we’re excited to interview River Nice, XYPN member and founder of Be Intentional Financial, a fee-only firm focused on serving LGBTQ community members. River, whose pronouns are they/them, started their firm just over two years ago and has effectively served over 100 clients since opening.
River serves clients how they want to be served: through education and short-term relationships. River brings up a number of compelling points throughout the interview—questions of whether gender is a necessary consideration in planning, how our technology is set up to serve, or not serve, different communities, and reminding us how important it is to have representation within this industry. Their own personal journey is highlighted in this episode and how interestingly, through raising their own prices, they were able to have an even bigger impact on the communities they wanted to serve.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- How River got into financial advising and the discomfort they experienced early on (00:03:44)
- Taking the leap to go out on your own (00:14:34)
- Setting up your service model in a way that works for your clients and yourself (00:18:05)
- Why serving a community that appreciates River is integral (00:25:55)
- The marketing and business development efforts River employs (00:29:47)
- The complexity of gender identity in financial planning (00:32:35)
- How being a firm owner provides the freedom to give back to oppressed communities (00:39:21)
- How River experienced being backed against a wall early on and how coaches and the evolution of their business helped them to thrive (00:43:55)
Featured on the Show:
- River Nice: Website | LinkedIn
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Financial Advisor Success Ep 097: Transitioning From Financial Coach to Financial Planner Serving Underserved Communities With Phuong Luong
- Suzanne Evans with Driven, Inc.
- Audrey Schnell
- National LGBT Chamber of Commerce
This Episode is Sponsored By:
An event made just for fee-for-service advisors? Yep, you heard that right. It's #XYPNLIVE and with over 45 content sessions, three keynotes, a one-of-a-kind exhibit day, and networking opportunities galore, it's the game-changing event you've been looking for. Join us in November (in-person or virtually) and leave with knowledge, new connections, and a whole lot of inspiration to accelerate your progress and smash your goals—no matter where you are in your advisor journey. Visit xypnlive.com for full details and to grab your pass.