We’re excited to welcome Tom Lo, XYPN Member and founder of Vested Financial Planning, on the show today. As his firm name alludes to, Tom works with Silicon Valley tech professionals and has a particular focus on helping clients through a liquidity event at their company.
Tom shares that he, too, went through a liquidity event at a tech startup and found it to be so complicated of an experience that it became one of his motivations to change careers and help others with his expertise. As Tom discusses today, a liquidity event at a tech startup is a great opportunity for sophisticated and technical planning from a third party, like himself, to provide unbiased perspective to those who are emotionally invested in the process. Tom dives into how he serves his clients effectively by outsourcing major components of his business—from asset management to bookkeeping. He discusses the softer side of being a business owner, too, like what it means to have control of your destiny, complete control of your business, and of course, flexibility.
If you’re interested in working with this niche or gaining any of what was just mentioned, then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- An introduction of Tom Lo and his journey to becoming a financial planner (00:02:42)
- How Tom tested the waters and worked part-time for a Silicon Valley team and an RIA (00:08:53)
- Being in year three solo and how outsourcing is key (00:15:30)
- What Tom’s relationships with clients look like and how he helps coach them (00:18:48)
- Tom’s personal experience with liquidity events (00:27:18)
- The tinkering and adjustment over time needed to make his firm operate better (00:30:08)
- A typical week and the flexibility it provides in Tom’s life (00:37:26)
- How Yelp became such a large part of his marketing effort (00:43:45)
- The sense of community rather than competition in this niche (00:49:44)
Featured on the Show:
- Tom Lo: Website | LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career by Herminia Ibarra
- Jane Yoo
- Elizabeth Jetton
- XY Bean Counters
- The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA)
This Episode is Sponsored By:
An event made just for fee-for-service advisors? Yep, you heard that right. It's #XYPNLIVE and with over 45 content sessions, three keynotes, a one-of-a-kind exhibit day, and networking opportunities galore, it's the game-changing event you've been looking for. Join us in November (in-person or virtually) and leave with knowledge, new connections, and a whole lot of inspiration to accelerate your progress and smash your goals—no matter where you are in your advisor journey. Visit xypnlive.com for full details and to grab your pass.