We’re excited to welcome Daniel Kopp to the show today. Daniel is the owner and founder of Wise Stewardship Financial Planning—a two-year-old, 100% virtual fee-only firm that serves over 25 widows and military personnel.
Today, Daniel talks about what it was like starting his firm while navigating some difficult personal circumstances. While he waited for approval to start his firm, he conducted 100 informational interviews, prepared for his CFP®, and got clear on who he wanted to serve and how. Despite pricing himself a little low out of the gate, today, Daniel has a backlog of clients reaching out and credits a lot of his accelerated growth to the investments he made in GoogleAds early on and targeting his niche in Facebook Groups. Daniel shares the importance of a supportive advisor community as he continues to grow his firm and how he would have never started on this journey if he didn't know what was possible thanks to some of the original stories shared on #XYPNRadio.
If you’re interested in what it’s like to build a niche-focused, intentional firm, then this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- How Daniel entered the space by conducting informational interviews and discovering his two niches (00:03:06)
- The mindset behind providing concierge-level service (00:08:31)
- What the transition from military to civilian entailed (00:11:50)
- Pricing too low at the beginning and learning his worth as a financial planner (00:18:41)
- How defining his niches and getting his CFP® helped him serve clients more efficiently (00:23:05)
- The integration of financial therapy and life planning in Daniel’s practice (00:25:35)
- How Google Ads can help elevate your firm’s reach (00:31:55)
- The power spending money on your business early on (00:37:31)
- How Daniel embodies the abundance mentality and harnesses the power of groups and communities in the space (00:39:27)
Featured on the Show:
- Daniel Kopp: Website | LinkedIn | Podcast | Find an Advisor Profile
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- So You Want to Be a Financial Planner: Your Guide to a New Career by Nancy Langdon
- Financial Therapy Association
- George Kinder
- XY Bean Counters
- XYPN Academy
- Carolyn Dalle-Molle | Arlene Moss |BB Webb
- Google Ad Course - Isaac Rudansky
- Military Financial Advisors Association
- XYPN Member Forums
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Advice That Sticks: How To Give Financial Advice That People Will Follow by Dr. Moira Somers
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.