We’re excited to introduce you to Cathy Curtis, founder of Curtis Financial Planning, a fee-only firm out of Oakland, CA. Cathy has run her firm for over 20 years and shares just a sliver of her experience on the show today.
Cathy is a solo advisor—and always has been. She serves women, specifically breadwinning women, and to this day, finds 1:1 client work her favorite part of running her firm. Cathy discusses flow and how to find it, the kind of insecurities women face as they try to understand their finances, and what it’s like to vision board your future. She reminds listeners that outsourcing should be considered an investment, and there’s no reason to try to do everything on your own, whether you hire or not. Cathy shares that her imposter syndrome went away when she finally niched, and since then, has found major success and fulfillment.
Cathy has some incredible advice to share with you today, and if you’re interested in what it’s like as a solo advisor 20 years in, then this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Cathy’s journey as a solopreneur over the last 20 years (00:03:11)
- How she found her niche and its connection with her own life (00:09:38)
- The decision to run a solo business and the flexibility it provides (00:19:43)
- Why Cathy outsources rather than hiring (00:27:42)
- What Cathy enjoys most about being a financial planner (00:36:48)
- How Cathy developed her fee structure (00:40:00)
- The draw to fee-only and building confidence over time (00:42:41)
- What the future holds for Cathy (00:45:28)
- How owning her firm changed Cathy’s life both financially and emotionally (00:50:37)
Featured on the Show:
- Cathy Curtis: Website | Podcast | LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Pat Jennerjohn
- The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA)
- Mastermind Groups
- Limitless Advisor Coaching Program
- Advisor Growth Community
- Virtual-Office Tools for a High-Margin Practice by David J. Drucker, Joel P. Bruckenstein
- Total Office
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.