We’re excited to welcome back Shane Mason and AJ Ayers, co-founders of Brooklyn FI, for a check-in on their growth trajectory since we last spoke with them on episode #221. Brooklyn FI now has 10 fully remote employees, serves over 200 client households, and is pushing the two million dollar mark in revenue.
On the show today, we discuss what that growth has been like—from identifying great new talent for their team to handling the crazy demands of this year’s tax season. They talk about why hiring an operations teammate was vital for their scalability and how their fee calculator helps with transparency. Shane and AJ share their take on their impact, why they got into this business, and how they’ve managed to keep up with the demands of their growing firm. You can sense their authenticity and their passion for what they do in this interview, and it’s hard not to want to be part of their superstar team.
If you’re looking for some advice about growing and scaling your business, then this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Who Shane and AJ are and the story of their firm Brooklyn FI (00:02:56)
- What growth has looked like for Brooklyn FI with hiring, creating a waitlist, and their firm vision (00:09:09)
- The balance between managing and doing (00:19:11)
- How they maintain company culture and embody their core values (00:21:30)
- The importance of their brand for growth (00:28:07)
- The distinction between their financial planning and tax services (00:30:26)
- Why having their CFP® certification is essential for Shane and AJ (00:40:42)
- The significance of the fee calculator on Brooklyn FI’s website (00:43:47)
- What role life planning plays in their services (00:47:53)
Featured on the Show:
- AJ Ayers: LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- Shane Mason: LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- Brooklyn FI: Website | Instagram | Blog
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Certified Equity Professional (CEP)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- #XYPNRadio Ep #221: Leveraging a Tax Practice to Rapidly Grow Their RIA - The Careers of AJ Ayers and Shane Mason
- Mason Tax
- Financial Advisor Success Podcast
- Financial Advisor Success Podcast Episode 220
- Flex Jobs
- Wall Street Journal Article "Easy the Pain of Doing Your Taxes"
- Seven Stages of Money Maturity
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: