Today, we’re excited to introduce you to Kelly Klingaman, Vice President and Regional Director of Dimensional Fund Advisors (DFA). Kelly has worked in the RIA space for the past 12 years, helping advisors around the country understand and communicate investment management strategies to their clients.
Kelly explains that DFA partners with advisors to educate them on the academic research that DFA builds its principal theories around and how this credibility can be infused within their planning processes. Kelly discusses the decisions advisors face regarding their investment management programs and whether to outsource or manage them on their own. Because advisors are often limited in the amount of time they have to focus on the investment management aspect of their business, as well as the fact that many feel insecure about offering investment advice to their clients, she explains that the way advisors frame their investment services—the story they tell surrounding them—is often the most important aspect of how they approach investment management. Kelly points out that using anecdotes to explain why time in the market is better than timing the market can help a diverse crowd of investors understand the value of investing and the services you offer.
If you’re interested in learning how to better tell the story of your investment management philosophy, this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- An introduction of Kelly Klingaman and her role at Dimensional Fund Advisors (DFA) (00:02:59)
- What attracted Kelly to DFA and their unique approach to investing (00:10:07)
- How DFA streamlines investment storytelling for advisors (00:18:21)
- What designations can be useful within the investment management space (00:19:58)
- How to integrate DFA and a TAMP (00:21:57)
- The education DFA provides and how it helps advisors save time (00:28:04)
- Objections to the DFA approach and anecdotes Kelly likes to share with advisors (00:33:12)
- How XYPN advisors—as fiduciaries and fee-only advisors—relate to DFA (00:39:01)
- Alternative career options that are not client-facing (00:43:15)
Featured on the Show:
- Kelly Klingaman: Website | LinkedIn
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Carl Richards
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Registered Life Planner® (RLP®) designation
- Seven Stages of Money Maturity
- XY Investment Solutions (XYIS)
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: