In today’s episode, we’re honored to speak with Cindu Thomas-George, a professor and the owner of Shakthi Diversity and Equity Training. Last year, Cindu shared some of her lifetime of experience and expertise with the XYPN Team. Later this year, you’ll have a chance to learn from her, too—Cindu will be delivering a three-hour interactive workshop as an add-on Pre-Conference event at #XYPNLIVE 2021, so don’t miss out.
Today, Cindu joins us to discuss what diversity, equity, and inclusion each mean and lays out a persuasive argument for DEI initiatives as a growth strategy within a business. She discusses the concepts of power and social capital and presents the moral case for considering these concepts within your work. She gives answers to tough questions like, “Is this conversation a political one?” and “What can advisors do to move the needle forward in the DEI space?” Today’s conversation highlights the power of the work being done by financial advisors who are bringing financial planning and literacy to communities who have not had access to it before. If you weren’t previously convinced that financial planning is an inherently impactful, helping profession, Cindu sets the record straight.
If you’re interested in learning about how DEI makes businesses thrive, then this interview is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Who Cindu Thomas-George is and how she became a DEI practitioner (00:02:50)
- How DEI fits into the financial planning industry (00:06:36)
- The effect of racism and classism on access to building wealth (00:08:19)
- How you should think about DEI as a business owner (00:15:30)
- What diversity, inclusion, and equity mean (00:19:14)
- How to respond to tragedy and difficult events as they relate to DEI (00:21:47)
- Why you should be color-conscious, not colorblind (00:31:16)
- The dynamics of power and privilege in everyday life (00:35:37)
- The shared language you need to talk about money and the social capital that may not exist for some (00:39:23)
Featured on the Show:
- Cindu Thomas-George: Website | LinkedIn | Instagram
- Ryan Watin LinkedIn
- Alan Moore LinkedIn
- Lily Zheng
- Dr. Janice Gassam
- Vernā Myers
- Eddie Moore Jr.
- Diversity, Inc.: The Failed Promise of a Billion-Dollar Business by Pamela Newkirk
- The Person You Mean to Be: How Good People Fight Bias by Dolly Chugh
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: