Today we’re excited to welcome Pearl Michalson, XYPN’s Internship Coordinator, to the show. Pearl has built XYPN’s internship program from the ground up and has a wealth of expertise when it comes to all things interns and internships. From identifying top talent to training managers on how to best utilize interns, a lot goes into making an internship a successful and rewarding experience for all.
Pearl shares her unique theory around internship programs with us and the wide variety of work that interns can accomplish, which will be of interest to many of our listeners. Her experience in organizational leadership allows her to speak to the importance of communication within organizations and why new and diverse talent elevates a company. As opposed to thinking of interns as another person to manage, she invites our listeners to seek out what an intern can teach them, how they can improve the organization, and see the world through a different lens. Pearl has advice regarding what to look for in interns, how to train them, and how to consider what they can do within a company if given the opportunity.
If you’re interested in hiring an intern, then you’re not going to want to miss this episode.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Who Pearl Michalson is and what being XYPN’s Internship Coordinator entails (00:02:59)
- Her storied professional background and the path that led her to XYPN (00:06:56)
- The essential roles that organizational leadership and communication play (00:13:09)
- How to consciously choose interns that are different than you (00:22:18)
- An in-depth conversation about the difference between hiring an intern versus a part-time employee or a temp (00:33:09)
- Why paying interns is non-negotiable (00:37:46)
- What aspects to look for when hiring interns (00:41:09)
- The power that word of mouth can provide an internship program (00:46:10)
Featured on the Show:
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: