Today, we have two remarkable XYPN members—Tremaine Wills and Charles Ho—on the show. Tremaine and Charles both left the broker-dealer space knowing they were destined to do more meaningful work. Both ended up finding major fulfillment in being owners of their very own independent RIAs.
We speak with both Tremaine and Charles about their previous professional backgrounds, including the tears that were shed, the pressure that was applied, and the emptiness they both felt around the work they were doing. We discuss the ideas of time freedom, mission-driven work, and what it feels like to burn out. Tremaine and Charles talk very transparently about what it took in terms of support, mental stamina, and confidence to make the leap and become their own bosses. They highlight what success means to each of them and how, despite the pressure they felt from their employers, it wasn’t about making money. Instead, success to them is all about making an impact.
If you’re feeling dissatisfied or unfulfilled in your current position, then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Get to know who Tremaine and Charles are and what their firms are about (00:02:54)
- What the journey—from college to now—looked like for Tremaine and Charles (00:5:35)
- How vital it is to celebrate the successes of clients, no matter how small (00:18:54)
- What their initial dreams of starting their own firms looked like (00:20:32)
- How self-care and checking in on your mental health is essential (00:23:31)
- The difference between sales in the broker-dealer world and selling your services at your RIA (00:26:43)
- What a support system can offer as you navigate this space (00:32:31)
- Failure, fear, and other challenging aspects of being a business owner (00:39:31)
- Making the leap to start their own firms and finally taking off the “golden handcuffs” (00:46:46)
Featured on the Show:
- Tremaine Wills: Website | LinkedIn
- Charles Ho: Website | LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Series 7
- Series 66
- Mastermind Groups
- XYPN Member Forums
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: