We’re thrilled to have four incredible XYPN members on the show with us today: Alexandra Baig, Neil Mahoney, Todd Sensing, and Matthew Ricks. Each advisor has built a practice that either focuses entirely on or incorporates special needs planning—a unique niche that brings its own challenges, and of course, rewards.
From soft skills like trust and sensitivity to having deep technical expertise, specific requirements are needed to serve the special needs community. Alex, Neil, Todd, and Matthew share their individual approaches to working within this niche. Some adjust their payment structures and service models to serve their clients better, while others have developed particular marketing techniques that resonate with this community. They also touch on the importance of staying up to date on the ever-evolving nuances within the special needs space and how you should be ready to speak the language of your clients, meeting them where they are.
If you’re interested in working with the special needs community, or just hearing what it’s all about, then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- A brief introduction of XYPN members Matthew Ricks, Neil Mahoney, Alexandra Baig, and Todd Sensing (00:02:43)
- What special needs planning looks like (00:05:49)
- The types of support and resources in the special needs community (00:10:47)
- The big picture of special needs financial planning and the role insurance plays (00:13:49)
- What services each of these advisors provide and the flexible approach they must have to fees and planning itself (00:19:42)
- How special needs services differ from state to state (00:27:01)
- Why building a network of specialists is critical within this niche (00:28:56)
- What marketing looks like in the special needs space (00:33:11)
- The power of authenticity and final pieces of advice for those interested in this niche and the industry at large (00:39:13)
Featured on the Show:
- Alexandra Baig: Website | LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- Neil Mahoney: Website | Find an Advisor Profile
- Todd Sensing: Website | LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- Matthew Ricks: Website | LinkedIn | Find an Advisor Profile
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Medicaid Wavier
- Social Security Administration
- Supplemental Security Income
- Find Your State Based Parent and Education and Training Center
- ChSNC® Special Needs Designation
- The Academy of Special Needs Planners
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: