We’re excited to have John Mason and Tommy Blackburn on the show today. John and Tommy are partners at Mason & Associates, a fee-only firm out of Newport News, Virginia. Tommy and John are friends, first and foremost, but also business partners, both working at a firm that John’s uncle and father started together in the early 80s.
Today, the firm serves over 400 clients, a majority of whom are federal employees. John and Tommy talk about what it was like to transition the business from a broker-dealer into an independent firm, a transition they spearheaded just last year. John and Tommy reflect on what they gave up but, more importantly, what they gained by moving away from the broker-dealer structure. They share some sage advice about how preparation can be your best friend in a transition like this. John and Tommy also have a radio show together on their local radio station, and they discuss how radio marketing is a primary lead source for them and how it enables them to further their mission by expanding their reach and impact.
If you’re interested in what it’s like to transition an existing firm into the fee-only space and to do it with a dear friend, then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- An overview of John and Tommy’s long-term friendship and synergy (00:03:09)
- John and Tommy’s background before joining Mason & Associates (00:07:50)
- What drew them to the fee-only space (00:14:26)
- How Mason & Associates has changed since breaking away from the broker-dealer industry (00:22:30)
- What the transition was like and the fears that came along with it (00:25:50)
- The hard conversations John and Tommy needed to have with the broker-dealer and clients when they transitioned (00:33:04)
- How the Mason & Associates Financial Planning Radio Show works as a marketing tool and educational resource for clients (00:39:05)
- How John and Tommy manage their work and personal relationship (00:44:11)
- Advice for those thinking of breaking away from the broker-dealer industry (00:48:28)
Featured on the Show:
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: