We’re honored to have XYPN Director of Brand Communications, Kelly Moorman, on the show today to talk about all things brand. Kelly is a trained chemist, but married her experience with large data sets and analytical writing with her passion for storytelling to carve out a career in marketing. Today, she shares some of her best advice as a professional marketer and brand builder.
You’ll hear Kelly talk about developing a tone and voice that is real, and how that helps define your brand architecture and ultimately allows you to tell an authentic story that resonates with your audience. She explains the importance of knowing not just who you want to attract, but why, and talks about the power of repelling audiences, and why you should embrace that as much as you embrace attracting them. Throughout this episode, Kelly reiterates the importance of always knowing who you’re speaking to and meeting your target audience where they are. Kelly will leave you feeling motivated to evolve, iterate, and play with your marketing strategy—even if you aren’t a marketing guru. She’ll inspire you to be yourself, stay true to what you want to build, and most importantly, not waste your time on things that aren’t working.
If you’re interested in hearing from a professional brand expert, this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Kelly’s evolution at XYPN and the brand she’s building for XYPN (00:03:21)
- Kelly’s original trajectory and how a pause helped her realize her passion for marketing (00:08:21)
- How she was able to transfer her skills as a trained chemist to marketing and how imposter syndrome reared its ugly head during that transition (00:14:23)
- How advisors can tell their authentic story (00:21:38)
- Advice for advisors struggling with writing and the importance of voice, tone, and a good story (00:25:41)
- What advisors should not waste their time on when developing their marketing strategy (00:29:52)
- An example of what a marketing funnel might look like for a financial advisor (00:38:20)
- Kelly’s marketing and brand communication book recommendations (00:45:03)
- How to stay creative during the pandemic (00:47:17)
Featured on the Show:
- Kelly Moorman: XYPN | LinkedIn
- Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content by Ann Handley
- The EOS Model
- XYPN Free Downloads
- XYPN Events
- Marketing Funnel Template
- XYPN Marketing Coaching
- Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen by Donald Miller
- Building Brand Communities: How Organizations Succeed by Creating Belonging by Carrie Melissa Jones
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: