We’re excited to have XYPN member Anna N’Jie Konte, the founder of the fee-only firm Dare to Dream Financial Planning out of Kensington, MD, on the show today. Anna started her firm in August of 2019 and now serves 27 clients, most of whom are business-owning women of color—clients who are just like Anna.
Anna tells us about her journey to going out on her own and how it took learning the stories of others to inspire her and paint a picture of what success may look like if she broke out on her own. She shares how being authentic is a magnet for her clients, and how her approach allows her clients to feel safe with her, and see the value of a long-term financial planning engagement. Anna’s three young girls can be heard in the background of the episode, but Anna is unfazed. Anna talks about what it’s been like to start a business from scratch as a mom and a first-generation American, the intentionality with which she’s built Dare to Dream, and how she uses a barometer of satisfaction to determine if something is working or not. Anna’s commitment to changing the reputation and face of this industry is clear, and her love for her work is even more so. Of her career Anna reflects, “I can’t believe I get paid to do this.”
If you’re interested in what it would be like to build a business as a mom and as a woman of color, this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- An overview of Anna’s path to starting her firm and getting her CFP® (00:03:02)
- What pushed Anna to make that final leap to start her firm (she binge listened to industry podcasts) (00:14:34)
- A look at what the first few months looked like for Anna after she got two clients on her first day (00:19:18)
- The type of service clients should expect when working with Anna (00:23:35)
- How her marketing is based on authenticity and the magnet she has become for people of color (00:26:00)
- Where Anna is getting clients from with COVID (00:29:29)
- How Anna never felt imposter syndrome as a woman of color until she went out on her own (00:32:39)
- Advice for moms who are thinking about becoming a business owner or financial advisor (00:40:57)
- Why monitoring satisfaction is important for your business and yourself (00:47:53)
Featured on the Show:
- Anna N’Jie Konte: Website | LinkedIn | Instagram | Blog
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Series 7
- Series 63
- Financial Advisor Success Podcast Episode with Shawn Tydlaska
- Financial Advisor Success Podcast Episode with Mary Beth Storjohann
- Emlen Miles-Mattingly
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.