We’re excited to have XYPN member Lamar Watson, owner of Dream Financial planning, a fee-only firm out of Reston, VA, on the show today.
Lamar started his career in this industry before he even went to college! He was an avid follower of the stock market and reader of Warren Buffet. While he was in college, he secured an internship at a diverse Scottrade branch where he received valuable insight, training, and mentorship in the financial services industry. Lamar walks us through his career from how he pitched himself in an interview before he even graduated from college to how he climbed the ranks and finally to how and why he decided to open his own RIA. Lamar talks about what it was like to move from a steady high-paying job to working one-on-one with his ideal types of clients—the newbies who have never worked with a financial planner before.
If you want to learn about what it’s like to work your way up through this industry and then launch your dream firm, this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Lamar’s career trajectory (which began as a teenager!) (00:03:33)
- What Lamar did and learned at Scottrade (00:06:30)
- Where he went after leaving his first real job (00:19:31)
- Why Lamar decided to start his own firm when he was already making six figures (00:24:10)
- Lamar’s journey to getting his CFP® designation (00:29:44)
- Lamar’s firm today and the value he provides (00:39:25)
- The money mind shift Lamar had to make when he began his firm (00:41:55)
- How Lamar is ahead of the average number of clients advisors should have at this point in their firm (00:44:11)
- The most unexpected things Lamar was not prepared for when he launched his firm (00:46:39)
Featured on the Show:
- Lamar Watson: Website | LinkedIn
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Series 7
- Series 66
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.