We’re excited to have XYPN member Helen Ngo, Founder of the Atlanta-based RIA, Capital Benchmark Partners, on the show today. A lot has changed for Helen since she was last on the show in 2017; she got married, had a baby, and has transitioned her firm to 100% virtual. What hasn’t changed at all is her passion for growing her business.
Today she serves over 70 client households, the majority of whom are attorneys. She’s settled into a pricing structure that is niched to the needs of her attorney clients, and finds the conversation around pricing to be (surprisingly) simple. Helen reminisces on what it was like to start her firm, and how her priorities have shifted from being the planner to being a real business owner: managing people issues, learning how to communicate more softly, and graduating clients, all while giving her new baby some love in between calls. Listeners will be particularly interested in Helen’s discussion about the pushback she continues to receive around being in the driver's seat of her own career. As a young woman in this industry, people still ask her who she works for when the real question is not who Helen works for, but who works for Helen.
Helen’s commitment to her business and this space remains strong, and she’s a fabulous example of what life looks like when you chase your dreams.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- How Helen found her niche and created her pricing model (00:02:58)
- Helen’s journey as her client base and team grew (00:08:40)
- How Helen has evolved as a business owner in the last three years (00:15:29)
- The most unexpected part of being a business owner and how to say “no” to clients who don’t fit your niche (00:19:40)
- The method Helen used to say sane in the first few years of her business (00:23:13)
- Helen’s biggest challenges currently with delegation and pushback for being female (00:26:42)
- Why Helen sells the service of financial planning and not herself (00:33:09)
- What COVID has changed for Helen (00:35:57)
- Tips on how to be more hireable and land a job in the industry (00:41:21)
Featured on the Show:
- Helen Ngo: Website | LinkedIn
- Ep #108: Finding Success by Transitioning from AUM to Monthly Retainers - The Career of Helen Ngo
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: