We’re excited to have XYPN member Ashley Murphy, Founder of Areté Wealth and the Global Financial Planning Institute (GFP), on the show today. This is Ashley’s second time sharing his career journey and expertise in the expat space on #XYPNRadio.
Today, he joins us to give us an update on how a niche can turn into a full-blown industry-shaking initiative. After recognizing a gap in technical training for cross-border and international planning, Ashley spearheaded an initiative to create content, training, and a designation around the expertise. As Ashley discusses on the podcast, advising in this space is complicated and, like other niches, demands a specific level of competence. Ashley shares how the GFP, which once was a passion project, is now changing the direction of his firm and encourages anyone who wants to get into this space to do so. According to Ashley, the number of clients in dire need of cross-border planning from an advisor who has done their research is unlimited, to be exact.
If you’re interested in turning your passion project into a successful second business, this is the episode for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- What Ashley’s up to now and the tremendous growth he has experienced (00:02:52)
- How Ashley identified his ideal niche (00:07:00)
- An overview of what serving as international, inbound, and outbound means (00:9:38)
- Examples of the technical expertise needed to serve this market (00:16:32)
- The community Ashley has helped create in this niche (00:24:53)
- The “why” behind developing the Global Financial Planning Institute (GFP) (00:28:58)
- How Ashley’s career has pivoted and where he sees it going next (00:33:45)
- The goals for the GFP Institute (00:37:10)
- Recommendations for those who want to enter this space next (00:49:22)
Featured on the Show:
- Ashley Murphy: Website | GFP | LinkedIn
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Kitces - Cross-Border Financial Planning: Issues When Advising International Clients
- Ep #142: Financial Planning for Expats - The Career of Ashley Murphy
- CEPA® Designation
- FPA: International/Cross-border Knowledge Circle Community Conversation
- Limitless FA
- Jim Collins - How To Find Your Company’s Three Circles
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: