We’re excited to have XYPN member Britton Gregory, owner of Austin-based fee-only firm, Seaborn Financial, on the show today. Britton had a long career as an engineer before catching the personal finance bug and deciding to chase his encore career. Today, he stays connected to his career roots by serving engineers.
Britton describes the mental and emotional process he went through as he switched his careers, and explains how being a former engineer has been helpful in building a business that serves them so effectively. Britton spends time talking through his decisions about how he prices and delivers his services, and why and how he’s tailored both to the needs of his unique clients. He also talks about the KPIs he tracks, and how the rhythm of the Entrepreneurial Operating System has helped elevate and structure his year. Britton also provides his take on where he envisions the financial services industry heading in the years ahead.
If you’re interested in pursuing a career as an advisor but wonder if the leap is worth it, then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Why Britton created Seaborn Financial and the journey to making financial planning his full-time career (00:02:35)
- How Britton’s niche of helping engineers developed and the reasoning behind his flat fee pricing (00:09:18)
- How transparency has helped Britton be viewed as a trustworthy source of information (00:16:59)
- The type of marketing Britton uses to be authentic and reach the tech professionals of his niche (00:20:34)
- Insight into Britton’s close rate and process with prospective clients (00:23:10)
- The metrics Britton tracks and how they shape his business (00:27:47)
- Britton’s team, from his first hire to who he plans to hire next (00:33:51)
- The challenges of running an independent RIA (00:41:40)
- What Britton feels he got right (and wrong!) along his fee-only firm ownership journey (00:48:01)
Featured on the Show:
- Britton Gregory: LinkedIn | Website
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Series 65 Exam Details
- The Monthly Retainer Model in Financial Planning by Alan Moore & Michael Kitces
- eMoney Advisor
- XYPN Financial Planning & Process Coaching
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: