We’re excited to have XYPN member Cady North, owner of North Financial Advisors, a fee-only firm in San Diego, California, on the show today. Cady joined us on #XYPNRadio nearly four years ago, during Episode 79, to share her journey transitioning from the corporate world into that of an entrepreneur.
Today, she talks about what she has been up to since then: establishing a great work-life balance, moving across the country, and most impressively and recently, writing a book. Writing a book was always one of Cady’s goals, but one she never made any progress towards achieving. With some soul searching and an author’s program at her alma mater, Cady was able to write the book of her dreams in just 8 months. Cady talks today about why she chose the topic she did (surprise, it’s not about financial planning!), the actual process she went through to write and publish it, and most importantly she shares some of her tips that she uses with her financial planning clients who want to achieve goals but haven’t yet been able to move towards them.
If you’re interested in what it’s like to actually go after your dream, whether it’s launching a firm or writing a book, or both, this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- A run-through of what Cady has accomplished in the last 4 years (00:03:28)
- How Cady melds the discipline of financial planning with the discipline of life coaching (00:08:50)
- How to the Creator Institute supports authors and the size of the program (00:14:06)
- What Cady’s book is about and why it was important for her to write it (00:16:21)
- How fear of sharing her story publicly kept Cady from writing her book sooner (00:21:27)
- Why she chose to write a book that wasn’t based on financial planning but instead something she felt could make the biggest difference (00:26:54)
- The process of writing her book with the Creator Institute and where her money went for the program (00:31:39)
- What Cady’s presale campaign entailed and how she got comfortable with the uncomfortable (00:40:46)
- The timeline of how she finished her book and continues to stay motivated
Featured on the Show:
- Cady North: Website | LinkedIn
- Ep #79: From DC Politics to Founding a Fee-Only Ria - The Career of Cady North
- Evoke - 5 Day Life Planning Training
- Creator Institute
- Brene Brown
- Elizabeth Jetton: LinkedIn | Email
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: