We’re honored to interview the leaders of the XYPN Diversity Committee - Shehara Wooten, Miguel Gomez, Ryan Frailich, and Abel Soares - on the show today. These four wonderful XYPN members have all served on our Diversity Committee over the past 12 months. They join the show today to discuss the value of the CFP® designation, their own personal journey to pursuing it, and ultimately the scholarships and opportunities the XYPN Diversity Committee offers to advisors both in and out of the Network to make the CFP® more accessible, achievable, and utilized within our industry.
Shehara, Miguel, Ryan, and Abel each have really unique stories about the road to the CFP® and into this industry generally. Join us as each of them shares their experience of receiving the XYPN CFP® Exam scholarship and how the community support that they received along the way was essential to their success. Listen as we talk about what kind of barriers of entry exist for advisors of color or folks without financial means. Finally, learn what it means to transition into this industry as a career changer and how the CFP® establishes credibility and provides the foundation and knowledge advisors need to succeed in this profession.
If you're interested in pursuing the CFP® designation, this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- A brief introduction of the leaders/members of the XYPN Diversity Committee (00:02:48)
- The journey Shehara, Miguel, Abel, and Ryan each took to get their CFP® designation (00:09:30)
- What the XYPN Diversity Committee has done to help make the CFP® more accessible (00:26:53)
- How the XYPN CFP® Exam Scholarship helped each of the Diversity Committee leaders/members get their designation (00:29:07)
- Why integrating studying and programing into your professional career as an adult can be challenging (00:31:53)
- How, as a career changer, a CFP® designation adds credibility and can eliminate the feeling of imposter syndrome (00:34:02)
- The time and experience that taking a CFP® prep course can require (00:36:40)
- How to take advantage of having multiple designations and giving your clients a value add-on (00:40:44)
- Tips and tricks for creating the right mental space and environment to study for your CFP® exam (00:42:33)
Featured on the Show:
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: