We’re excited to have XYPN members Erica Blake and Jan Schalkwijk on the show today to talk about how they've incorporated Socially Responsible Investing (SRI/ESG) into their firms. While Erica and Jan run their own RIAs, they met each other when Jan put a call out in the XYPN member forums about forming a study group around this investment focus.
Join us as Erica and Jan share important insight into the value that clients get from investing consciously as well as how the industry has shifted over the years to become more accepting of SRI-focused investments. Erica and Jan share why they think this kind of investment is the way of the future. Listen as they discuss how to build firms around this focus, the kind of certification and education you can get around these topics, and some of the myths associated with offering SRI.
If you're passionate about helping your clients make an impact through their investments, this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- An overview of both Erica’s and Jan’s firms (00:02:55)
- What is SRI/ESG investing and the differences between SRI and ESG investing (00:05:40)
- How Erica and Jan incorporate SRI/ESG investing into their service offerings in their firms (00:11:52)
- The implementation of SRI/ESG investing in their firms and how they both build out what their offering is to their clients (00:19:02)
- How to discuss SRI/ESG with clients who are not familiar with this investment focus (00:26:09)
- Pricing this service offering accordingly - does SRI/ESG have to be priced at a higher price point - and how to market SRI/ESG investing (00:32:26)
- Why Jan and Erica started the SRI/ESG study group at XYPN and what they hope to get out of it (00:45:25)
- Parting advice from both Erica and Jan for advisors who are interested in incorporating this investment focus into their firms (00:50:27)
Featured on the Show:
- Erica Blake: LinkedIn | Website
- Jan Schalkwijk: LinkedIn | Website
- XYPN’s Community Benefit: Member Forums
- Mastermind/Study Group
- University of Colorado, Boulder’s Certificate in Corporate Social Responsibility (CCSR)
- XYPN’s Member Benefit: TD Ameritrade
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: