We’re honored to interview Jocelyn Wright, owner and founder of the Ascension Group, a fee-only firm in Philadelphia, PA, on the show today. During today's episode, Jocelyn outlines her path for getting into and working her way around this industry. She's an MBA and a CFP®, has had experience working in the banking industry, the B/D world, and now is eleven years into running her own firm that primarily serves professional black women. Today, Jocelyn talks a lot about how a mentorship relationship was a turning point in her career and how she hopes to be that role model to students and other advisors of color in the financial services industry.
Join us as we discuss Jocelyn’s experiences being the first and only Black person in many rooms over the years in the industry, and how she has viewed it as an opportunity to lean in by networking. Learn from Jocelyn's passion for her work and the importance of our current environment for making real change in our industry. Finally, listen to her message around diversifying the industry and how if we don't act now, we may lose this opportunity forever.
If you're interested in how you can play a part in making this industry more diverse, inclusive, and equitable, then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- An overview of Jocelyn’s firm (00:02:52)
- Jocelyn’s start in this industry and how her grandmother’s death influenced her to pivot from a career into banking to wanting to become a financial planner (00:04:42)
- Her quick timeline after undergraduate school: graduate school to working at a major bank to being let go and finally to meeting her future mentor, Cheryl (00:07:03)
- Experiences prior to meeting Cheryl, including the practice of personality tests during the hiring process that Jocelyn was subjected to (00:18:18)
- “Pumping the brakes” and getting more experience before becoming CFP® certified (00:22:29)
- Coming to terms with being the only Black woman in the room when networking and using that as an opportunity to make sure more Black people come (00:25:27)
- Jocelyn’s thoughts on the Diversity and Inclusion efforts of the industry and what we can do differently to make sure we’re actually moving the industry forward (00:37:16)
- Thinking forward, what the next 10 years look like for Jocelyn’s firm in terms of partnering and succession planning (00:48:46)
- Final words of advice for those who want to become a financial planner (00:54:01)
Featured on the Show:
- Jocelyn Wright: LinkedIn | Website
- Certified Financial Planner™ (CFP®)
- Financial Planning Association® (FPA®)
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: