We’re excited to have XYPN member Therese Nicklas, owner of Wealth Coach for Women, a fee-only firm in Rockland, MA, on the show today. Therese has 40 years of experience in the financial services industry, with time spent working in the insurance business with employee benefits as well as a substantial stint at LPL. However, it wasn't until 2016 when Therese decided to sell her commission business and open up her own fee-only firm.
Because of Therese’s nearly-veteran status in this industry, we offer a little bit of everything for you. Join us as we discuss Therese’s niche, working with women and women in transition, and her role as a Certified Money Coach. You’ll also hear about Therese’s 4-month, 6-month, and 12-month coaching packages, her experience of providing support to her clients through three major market downturns, and more!
If you’re ready to be inspired by an industry veteran, this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- A brief introduction of Therese’s firm (00:02:53)
- How Therese’s personal experiences inspired her to focus on women going through a major life transition as her niche (00:04:17)
- Therese’s approach to gently communicating with such a delicate clientele and how being a Certified Money Coach has equipped her with the tools to empower her clients (00:10:07)
- The Money Coaching Institute program and an glimpse into the personal lessons Therese had to learn about herself in order to get certified (00:13:07)
- What it means to be “coachable”, the relationship Therese has with her clients, and being okay when a client isn’t a good fit (00:22:49)
- Why Therese left LPL and decided to start her own fee-only firm (00:29:29)
- Dealing with Compliance as a solopreneur in a difficult state that doesn’t like the “subscription model” (00:33:16)
- Therese’s coaching packages: the four-month, six-month, and 12-month programs (00:38:03)
- Her experience of selling a business in order to be fee-only and the process of creating a contingency plan with a fellow colleague (00:43:36)
- Therese’s ten-year vision for her firm (00:47:29)
- Parting advice for those who are new to the industry or concerned about the recent market downturns (00:56:22)
Featured on the Show:
- Therese Nicklas: LinkedIn | Website
- Money Coaching Institute
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®)
- Financial Planning Association (FPA)
- The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA)
- Compliance Support through XYPN
- Ep #236: Audits: The Do’s and Don’ts According to a Former Regulator: An Interview with Kingston Hollman
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: