We’re excited to have XYPN member Leslie Ransom, owner of Indie Financial Planning, a fee-only firm in Chicago, IL, on the show today. Leslie spent nearly two decades on the sale and distribution side of the music industry, working with bands and music labels all across the nation. Leslie was first introduced to the concept of managing money and providing advice when the music economy began to move to digital and the U.S. economy headed into the 2008 recession, and she found herself without a job.
Thus, in 2010, Leslie made a career change.
Join us as we learn how, in her 40s, Leslie began her CFP® curriculum and snagged an internship, and how in 2015, she launched her own firm with zero clients. Leslie admits how she struggled with the "imposter syndrome" and selling her own services, and how, through networking, she stumbled upon an invaluable contact that led her to Delegated Planning, a financial planning subcontractor firm where she began to work part-time as she built her own business. Leslie shares what it's like to be employed at a place other than her own firm and why she's been so intentional about building Indie slowly.
If you're interested in considering changing careers, this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- A brief introduction of Leslie’s firm (00:03:03)
- Leslie’s background in the music industry “pre-financial planning” and how she eventually discovered her talent for providing financial advice (00:11:03)
- How Leslie started in the industry, got an internship program, and the different clients she works with now (00:23:27)
- Why Leslie made the decision to work at Delegated Planning while running Indie Financial Planning (00:29:32)
- Working at Delegated Planning, and how it has helped build Leslie’s confidence in the profession and helped her deal with the “imposter syndrome” (00:41:55)
- Parting tips from Leslie for those who are considering changing careers (00:52:10)
Featured on the Show:
- Leslie Ransom: LinkedIn | Website
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®)
- Financial Planning Association (FPA)
- The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA)
- Mastermind/Study Groups (Community at XYPN)
- Embracing the Abundance Mentality When Building An Advisory Firm
- Delegated Planning
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: