We’re excited to have XYPN member Tyler Landes, owner of Tandem Financial Guidance, a fee-only firm in Kansas City, Missouri, on the show today. Tyler has had a really unique experience building his firm. In 2014, Tyler became a founding member of XY Planning Network, joining the then-group of 30 financial advisors, and discovered how he wanted to build his own firm. Being a planner, however, Tyler wanted to launch and run his firm while remaining cash flow positive, so unlike a lot of advisors, Tyler took a part-time job to make the dollars work.
In today's episode, Tyler shares his experience in working full-time at Zeiders, serving and supporting service members while continuing to serve his own 20 clients at Tandem. Tyler explains why he chose to build his business on a part-time basis and how he could have never done this without learning from and leaning into his Network. Hear from Tyler as he shares a really impressive perspective about the power of a study group, battling the imposter syndrome, and most importantly, building a firm as a young advisor.
If you're interested in learning from someone who built his firm in a less than conventional fashion, this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- A brief introduction of Tyler’s firm (00:03:07)
- Tyler’s experience during college going through the Financial Planning program at University of Missouri and ultimately getting hired at his first fee-only firm (00:06:02)
- Tyler’s starting position at his first fee-only firm and his career progression before starting Tandem (00:10:05)
- Why Tyler wanted to start his own firm and what attracted him to being an entrepreneur (00:16:29)
- Tyler’s experience joining XYPN as a Founding Member and how he worked part-time jobs before launching his firm in order to be cash flow positive (00:22:00)
- How Tyler is still not full-time with Tandem, and his experience working at Zeiders (00:28:52)
- Client acquisition and the different lead funnels Tyler leans on for prospects (00:38:11)
- Mastermind groups and leaning into the Network (00:41:14)
- Dealing with the imposter syndrome and more parting advice for financial planners who want to join this industry (00:49:14)
Featured on the Show:
- Tyler Landes: LinkedIn | Website
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®)
- Financial Planning Association (FPA)
- Build Your Budget, then Your Business
- Mastermind/Study Groups (Community at XYPN)
- Executive Business Coaching with XYPN
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: