We’re excited to have XYPN member Dave Rowan, owner of Rowan Financial, a fee-only firm in Bethlehem, PA, on the show today. Dave is a career changer; he spent a majority of his professional life at Crayola - yes, the Crayola - as the Director of Research and Development, and though he loved his work, he found that he was drawn to financial planning and decided in 2010 to start his own firm on the side.
While Dave remained employed full time at Crayola for seven years while he ran his firm part time, he found that he was having trouble balancing all of his personal and professional responsibilities, and ultimately, his mental health declined. Dave became restless, anxiety-ridden and depressed, which ultimately led to his decision to leave Crayola and focus on a career that gives him the most fulfillment.
Join us as we discuss the mental health stigma and Dave’s career-path, from having a high-level position in a corporate environment to running his own firm. Learn how he has prioritized happiness and ways to practice self-care through meditating, eating right, and more. Finally, listen as we talk about embracing what he calls an “experimental attitude” and having fun discovering what serves you in order to ultimately serve your clients more authentically.
If you're interested in hearing about how to take care of yourself personally during these turbulent times, this episode is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- A brief introduction of Dave’s firm (00:03:22)
- Dave’s introduction into the financial planning industry while he was the Director of Research Development at Crayola (00:05:04)
- How Dave balanced working at both Crayola as well as building his firm (00:08:43)
- Dave’s breaking point and when he ultimately decided to leave Crayola for the sake of his mental health and upholding the boundaries he set for himself (00:12:46)
- Examples of self-care/love and the different methods Dave employs to bring that self-love back to him (00:20:52)
- The “experimental mindset” and the importance of approaching self-care/love methods with this mindset (00:28:00)
- How self-love has led Dave to better serving his clients (00:32:55)
- The human connection in comprehensive financial planning and the different tech that you can utilize to keep that connection (00:37:35)
- Dave’s vision for his firm, including mentorship, teaching, and potentially hiring other advisors, and his parting advice for other career-changers (00:47:18)
Featured on the Show:
- Dave Rowan: Website | LinkedIn
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®)
- It’s Not Your Money by Tosha Silver
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: