We are thrilled to have XYPN member, Angie Furubotten-LaRosee, owner of Avea Financial Planning, a fee-only firm in Richland, WA, on the show today. Angie shares her unique experience in the world of entrepreneurship, having launched her firm once in 2011 and then again in 2018. She expresses the challenges she and others have faced when starting a business, particularly in those first few years.
Join us as we talk extensively about niches: from 2018 when Angie’s niche was college planning to today, where she now serves women in the STEM industries. Listen as she discusses how she leverages the support of coaches, training, and her network to help her not only stay motivated, but to hone her message and her niche.
If you're interested in understanding how to pivot a niche, then this podcast is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- A current overview of Angie’s firm and career (00:02:48)
- Angie’s decision to serve local clients vs. creating a virtual firm and how her starting niche -college planning - played a part in that decision (00:06:34)
- The start of Angie’s career post-college and how she got introduced to the RIA space (00:12:13)
- Why Angie left a fee-only firm in 2011 and decided to launch her own firm (00:16:09)
- Angie’s first year since launching her new firm, Avea Financial Planning, in 2018 (00:20:37)
- How to run a firm despite the lack of income in the first year of business (00:28:33)
- Angie’s desire to help women take better control of their financial lives and how that has continued to motivate her in running her firm (00:30:59)
- Continuing Education programs that have helped Angie and her firm (00:40:54)
- How Angie’s business coach experience has helped her find her niche and continue to be successful in running her business (00:45:34)
- Leaning into the community for support (00:50:22)
Featured on the Show:
- Angie Furubotten-LaRosee: LinkedIn| Website
- Brewer Consulting
- Capstone College Partners
- Ep #208: 3 Years In and Hitting Her Stride - An Interview with Meg Bartelt
- Certified Financial Planner™ (CFP®)
- Kinder Institute of Life Planning
- XYPN’s Business and Marketing Coaching
- Ep #235: Merging Firms To Better Serve Clients: The Rapid Growth Of FDS
- Mastering Mastermind/Study Group
- Suzanne Evans, Founder of Driven Inc.
- XYPN’s Community
- Ep #240: Creating a Tool to Facilitate Meaningful Money Conversations Among Family Members: The 30-Year Career of Hillel Katzeff
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: