Martha Williams is the owner of Williams Wealth Services, a fee-only firm in Ann Arbor, MI. Like many advisors, Martha began her career in this industry, from the bank channel to broker-dealers and independent BDs to eventually running her own firm.
Martha shares her journey with us and how the underlying desire to help people followed her with every career move she made. In 2017, she finally broke out on her own and was able to transition and continue to serve over 40 client households from her previous firms, preserving the long-term relationships that she had built over those years.
Listen in as she delves into the flexibility that owning her own firm affords her and how she dealt with the imposter syndrome, as well as the role of women in this profession and where she thinks the industry is heading.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- The overview of Martha’s career (00:02:51)
- Martha’s experience at firms that were not the perfect fit (00:10:06)
- The CFP and her thoughts on the future of the industry (00:15:14)
- How to help clients during turbulent times (00:17:59)
- How Martha serves her clients (00:21:33)
- Martha’s initial engagement with her clients (00:23:49)
- Martha’s fee structure (00:27:40)
- How Martha transitioned her clients from firm to firm (00:29:19)
- Why Martha decided to leave Waddell & Reed and start her own firm (00:33:57)
- The “imposter syndrome” and how to move past that feeling, especially as a woman in the industry (00:36:21)
- The benefits of running your own RIA (00:40:14)
- Martha’s work-life balance (00:41:58)
- How Martha leverages her network and community for support (00:44:29)
- Her advice to others wanting to start their own firm (00:50:40)
Featured on the Show:
- Martha Williams: Website | LinkedIn
- TD Ameritrade
- Financial Planning Association (FPA)
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA)
- Certified Financial Planner® (CFP®)
- XYPN Diversity Committee
- Mastermind Groups
- XYPN Member Benefits
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below: