Malcolm Thomas became XYPN’s Director of Advisor Success about six months ago, and he brings with him a wealth of knowledge and experience. Having had the unique experience of being on both the buy-side and sell-side of mergers, as well as various roles throughout his career, Malcolm has seen almost every corner of the industry.
In this episode, he shares his insight on the various business models out there, as well as the struggles each are facing. Listen in to hear the lessons he’s learned over the years, his mission in working with XYPN’s Advisor Success Department, and his outlook on the future of the industry.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Malcolm’s career history and what led him to XYPN.
- How his parents involved him in his family’s finances in his younger years.
- What launched his career.
- How MassMutual’s structure and compensation worked.
- The differences between the various options and career paths within the industry.
- How Malcolm’s supervisory roles evolved.
- His take on consultants and coaches.
- The question he has struggled with throughout his career.
- What people in supervisor roles must be able to do.
- The two major events that led Malcolm to XYPN.
- His experience on both the buy-side and sell-side of mergers.
- The advantage of going through a transition when there’s a purchase in place.
- The mission of XYPN's Advisor Success Department.
- How Malcolm defines advisor success.
- The unique opportunity he sees at XYPN.
- Advice he would go back and give his younger self.
Featured on the Show:
- Malcolm Thomas: Website | LinkedIn
- Edward Jones
- John Hancock
- The Opposite of Spoiled: Raising Kids Who Are Grounded, Generous, and Smart About Money by Ron Lieber
- XYPN PAUSE: Business Strategy Program
- XYPN Live Radio
- XYPN VIP Community
This Episode is Sponsored By:
You’re invited to attend THE event of the year…and, even better, you’re invited to get your pass at the best possible price. The can’t-miss annual #XYPNLIVE conference returns to St. Louis in September 2019 with valuable content for new firm launchers and established firm owners alike.
Take a couple days to work ON your business instead of IN your business, and connect with like-minded advisors leading the real financial planning movement. Visit xyplanningnetwork.com/xypnliveradio to get a deal on your pass through the end of the month. But hurry! The price goes up on the first of the year!