XYPN co-founder Michael Kitces is back on the show! For the second year now, we have collected data from our member firms to help us better understand their businesses and how they’re operating, and Michael joins me today to talk about what we found.
We dive into our 2018 Benchmarking Study's primary charts and cover key data points that will help advisors thinking about launching a firm set realistic expectations about growth. How much revenue should you expect for your first years in business? Is it really necessary to find a niche? Does the CFP even matter? Listen in to get those answers and more!
Want to follow along? Check out the graphs from our 2018 Benchmarking Study, as referenced in this episode.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- How long it typically takes for a new advisory firm to get traction.
- The phases advisors go through in the first few years of starting a firm.
- A key turning point that tells you you’ve made it.
- What will allow your firm to survive long enough to see the major profit shift in year four.
- Why the CFP matters.
- What the data tells us about the power of niches.
- How experience and revenue are correlated.
- A big myth about entrepreneurs.
- The interesting trend in advisors changing their fees.
- Key takeaways from the study.
Featured on the Show:
- Michael Kitces: Website | Podcast | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook
- Download the 2018 Benchmarking Study
- 2018 Benchmarking Study Graphs, as referenced
- XYPN Radio Episode Ep #125: Alan & Kitces Unhinged - Diving Deep Into XYPN's Inaugural Benchmarking Survey
- Setting Up An RIA And Starting A New Financial Planning Practice On Less Than $10,000
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Fun Fact! What do many financial advisors have in common? They’re often terrible at doing their own bookkeeping! Enter the Bean Team at FA Bean Counters, powered by XY Planning Network. There’s no shame in falling behind in your books. We’re all guilty of that from time to time. But if you’re leaving money on the table because you haven’t filed expenses correctly, you need the bean team.
Start cleaning up your books with a free Chart of Accounts template. Visit www.fabeancounters.com/xypnradio to download your copy.