Just the thought of leaving a firm to start your own can be intimidating enough, but today’s guest took that leap at the worst possible time. With a six-month-old baby at home, a wife who had recently quit her job, and a barely-healed broken neck that had just undergone surgery, Mark Boujikian launched Keymark Financial this past May. Amazingly, he not only got his firm up and running, but also managed to grow it with impressive speed.
Now considered the go-to expert on incentive stock options for SpaceX engineers, Mark has learned plenty of valuable lessons along his journey. In this episode, he shares the major challenges he faced when leaving a firm to start his own, advice for entrepreneurs who want to do the same, and much more.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- What drove Mark to go out on his own.
- The hardest thing about starting Keymark.
- How finding a niche led to Keymark’s growth.
- How Mark’s personal struggles made him a better advisor.
- Why Keymark offers a free ISO review to potential clients.
- How Mark’s partnership with a CPA firm works.
- The most interesting thing Mark has learned about the mind of a CPA.
- Advice for entrepreneurs with spouses and young children.
- What Mark wishes he could go back and tell his younger self.