It's been a while since we dug into our mailbag, so we're back with another Alan & Kitces Unhinged episode. On this edition: the differences between prospecting and marketing, varying service models, how to educate yourself on financial planning, and E&O insurance.
We start off by digging into prospecting and marketing and explaining why we generally focus more on the latter here at XYPN. There's no sure way to land clients right away, but both can be valuable tools for building a practice.
We also discuss the best CRMs for firms of different sizes and how your service model should change based on who you're serving and what they need to hear from you. Then we run through a list of our best recommendations for advisors hoping to get educated on true financial planning, and wrap up with a speedy overview of E&O insurance.
Listen to the Full Interview:
Want more from XYPN Radio? Become a VIP to access our private community!
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Why prospecting vs. marketing is essentially the difference between inbound vs. outbound marketing.
- How different advisors structure their client meetings to bring the focus to planning, and how they maintain client relationships over time.
- Study materials for those just breaking into the business, covering soft, technical, and business skills alike.
- Different CRMs for firms of varying size, and why it's essential to have a CRM in the first place.
- When you need to get E&O insurance and what to know when you're looking for a policy.
- Want an episode dedicated to the ins and outs of E&O insurance? Let us know!
Featured on the Show:
- Financial Media Exchange
- Ep #50: From Getting Fired to Founding XY Planning Network - The Career of Alan Moore
- Carolyn McClanahan - Life Planning Partners
- Nerd's Eye View Blog
- CFP Board Financial Planning Competency Handbook
- FPA Residency Program
- Facilitating Financial Health: Tools for Financial Planners, Coaches, and Therapists by Rick Kahler, Brad Klontz, and Ted Klontz
- The Financial Wisdom of Ebenezer Scrooge: 5 Principles to Transform Your Relationship with Money by Rick Kahler, Brad Klontz, and Ted Klontz
- Lighting the Torch: The Kinder Method of Life Planning by George Kinder and Susan Glavan
- The Seven Stages of Money Maturity: Understanding the Spirit and Value of Money in Your Life by George Kinder
- Communication Essentials for Financial Planners: Strategies and Techniques by Joseph Goetz and John Grable
- Money Quotient
- Mitch Anthony
- The Excellent Investment Advisor by Nick Murray
- Values-Based Financial Planning: The Art of Creating an Inspiring Financial Strategy by Bill Bachrach
- Kansas State University Financial Therapy Certificate Program
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It by Michael Gerber
- Redtail CRM
- Wealthbox CRM
- Junxure CRM
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Abacus Wealth Partners
- NAPFA Conferences