What would you do if you were forced to find a different job? It happened to Galen. He is the founder of Buff Your Finances and was following a typical career path of a financial planner when he had the opportunity to work as a virtual paraplanner for another advisory. He made the mistake of putting his new job on his Linkedin profile which his full time employer saw and fired him on the spot.
In this episode, we learn how Galen ended up launching his own financial firm several years ahead of schedule. He shares his experience providing unique student loan analysis services to his clients as well as through other financial advisors. We explore how he provides, prices, and assesses the technologies he’s using to become more efficient.
Bonus: Galen also shares how he’s diving into a niche market of video gamers to help grow his firm.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- Why the complexity of students is so important and what advisors can do to navigate it.
- How Galen transitioned from tech project management to the financial services industry.
- Why the complexity of student loans became a low hanging fruit for Galen to get clients.
- What financial advisors should do at their current job even if they’re transitioning into creating their own firm.
- Why student loan analysis is a great service to scale your firm.
- What the future of student loans may look like.
Featured on the Show:
- Buff Your Finances
- Galen’s Blog: Pajama Pants Finance
- The Dream Manager by Matthew Kelly
- Lighting the Torch by George Kinder
- Sample Student Loan Recommendation [PDF]